Monday, January 14, 2008

Curving Your Pathway


Whether you build a path with flagstone, fieldstone, cobblestone or whatever other stones that can be used in a path, it is recommended to curve the path when possible. Curving paths look more natural and more pleasing to the eye. Now, you don't have to make it complicated and add twists and turns at every corner. A pathway shouldn't swerve just because you felt like having it do so (but, that is your choice); you need to have a reason to make it turn.

The curve could accommodate a tree, shrub, boulder, birdbath, or any object you can route the path around. A curving path through a flower bed looks better than a straight one. Accent the curve by placing tall, distinctive perennials or a shrub on the inside of the curve. A curve or curves can help keep a path on a slope from being too steep. A path leading around the corner of a building should curve to provide the shortest route to the side yard.

Making a path curve so that it disappears from sight brings out a bit of mystery. People will ask:

"What's around the bend?"

A visitor's curiosity can be rewarded if there's a nice bench, a hidden water feature, a unique planting feature, or an overall change in the style of the garden to discover.

Do all pathways really need to curve though? No, not really. Straight pathways lend formality to a garden, and a formal tone may be the look you want. A wide, straight pathway of flagstone (as described in our last two blogs) or cut stone leading from the street to the front door of a home makes an impressive statement. If the style of the garden is formal and includes garden beds defined by straight lines, curving paths may look out of place.


12 comments:

Jamie Boyle said...

Yeah I have always liked curved paths. It gives your garden more of a unique natural look or a flow to your path. I always add curves to my pathways in my garden. I find it looks way better then having everything always with straight edges.

I love your blog!

Sincerely,

Jamie Boyle
Hypertufa Gardener

How to build a pond said...

I have also built some beautiful curved flagstone pathways that meander through my water gardens...and even incorporate stepping stones that CROSS the water garden.

Use your imagination, and you can create beautiful meandering walkways.

cheers.

Jamie Boyle said...

Yeah that's definitely neat to have stepping stones across the water garden. That's something I've beem wanting to do for a while now. It looks so amazing and add another look to a garden pond. Curved pathways and flagstone pathways look awesome around ponds.

As my brother would say the sky's the limit on the amount of things one can do. Have an imagination like you said and some creativity and the possibilities are endless on the amazing things people can do with landcaping.

I'm just glad that winter is finally coming to an end here soon. Look forward to getting to my gardening.

Sincerely,

Jamie Boyle
Water Lily Gardener
www.GoldfishCareInformation.com

Unknown said...

Nice post.....
Art Artists Modern Art

Erin6051 said...

I love the curved path design, with some interesting things to look at along the route. I have found a beautiful sun dial and bird feeder that I am going to add to my path.

Thanks for the beautiful ideas posted here. I can't wait for spring!!

Lalchand Khatri said...

This is an excellent blog post...
Garage Door Repair

Unknown said...

"Come to Ad Hoc for your latest in London fashion accessories”
top fashion boutique London

Collegegirl said...

I am bit doubtful about the curving related to FENGSHUI or not...excellent blog, nice post. I love the contents and tips. I am so proud to vote for this beautiful blog. I VOTED FOR YOU, I recommend your blog to many of my friends. I expect they will Vote for u soon. I hope you will grace me with your precious Vote.Just copy this link to your browser
http://bloggerschoiceawards.com/blogs/show/69551

Unknown said...

Nice pathway. Would love to walk on it. keep it up the good work. Nice blog. Beth www.iflorist.co.uk

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I like the idea of curved paths. I have many flowers, plants, trees and yard ornaments and the path way that you talk about sounds like it would be a great addition.

Maya Lee said...

Nicely done. Good job.


camping trailer